Wankaner is one of the towns which falls under the district of Morbi in Gujarat state of India. It is also considered as one of the manufacturing hub of vitrified tiles and mosaic tiles. Wankaner was once a royal state, having 11 gun salutes before the Indian Independence. The town of Wankaner enjoys the beautiful hills, a major picnic spot for the local people.
Wankaner has so many the best tourist attractions for leisure activities. It has so many religious places for Hindu religious as well as Muslim religious. The town attracts thousands of tourist each year due to these places.
- Wankaner Palace OR Ranjit Vilas Palace: Wankaner Palace is one of the oldest royal palaces in the country. The palace was built by the Maharaja of Wankaner His Highness Amarsinhji Zala. In the palace construction, Italian marble, stones of Kota (Rajasthan) used to built this beautiful royal palace. The design of this palace is based on the European style.
- Machhu Dam: It is the largest dam of Wankaner, built on the river Machhu. It is located 15 km from the center of Wankaner.
- Shah Bava Dargah: He was one of the founders of the town. The most important religious place for the local Muslims.
- Naga Bava Mandir: He was friend of Shah Bava and one of the founders of the town. The most important religious place for the local Hindus.
- Gayatri Temple: A temple dedicated to the goddess Gayatri. This mandir is located near the hills of the town.
- Royal Oasis: It was the summer palace of the Royal Family of Wankaner.
- Hills: The town is blessed with so many small hills, located in the outskirts of the city.
- Swaminarayan Temple: A newly built Hindu temple, located on Rajkot Road.
- Momin Shah Bava Dargah: One of the most worshiped Muslims saints in the town.
How to Reach
By Road: Wankaner is well connected with the major cities of the state as well as of the country. The National Highway No. 8-A (Kandla-Ahmedabad Highway) passes from here. So, you can easily reach here through the road.
Bus Services: Wankaner has a bus depot of the Gujarat Road Transport Corporation (GSRTC), a Government of Gujarat enterprise. You can reach here from the various parts of the state such as Rajkot, Morbi, Ahmedabad, Dahod, Jamnagar, Surendranagar and others with the help of this bus service.
By Train: Wankaner is also well connected with the railway line. Most of trains passing from the Wankaner Junction, stops here. Only a few trains didn’t have stop. Please confirm with the Railway Inquiry before the final ticket booking.
By Air: Rajkot Airport is the nearest domestic airport from the city of Wankaner. You can easily reach from Wankaner to Rajkot by train or bus.
Wankaner’s people loves to eat street food as well as the delicious food. The town has a separate food street which is known as ‘Nasta Gali’, where you can eat traditional food from the stall. There are variety of restaurants and street food available in the town.
- Laxmi Lodge: Near Market Chowk, Nasta Gali, Wankaner – 363621 (Gujarati Thali, Chinese, Dhosa)
- Jayu’s Dabeli: Market Chowk, Wankaner – 363621 (Dabeli, one type of Indian sandwich)
- Manbhawan Bhel: Market Chowk, Wankaner – 363621 (Bhel, Jain Bhel)
- Shivam Hotel: National Highway No. 8A, Nr. Shivshakti Honda Showroom, Wankaner – 363621 (Chinese, Gujarati Thali, Dhosa, Punjabi, Ice-cream, cold drinks)
- Sai Restaurant: National Highway No. 8A, Jadeshwar Chambers, Wankaner – 363621 (Chinese, Punjabi, Gujarati Thali, Dhosa)
- Harsiddhi Hotel: National Highway No. 8-A, Opp. Taluka Panchayat, Nr. Taluka Police Station, Wankaner (Gujarati, Punjabi, Chinese, Dhosa)
- Hotel Rajvir: Market Chowk, Wankaner (Gujarati)
- Amruta Hotel: Market Chowk, Wankaner (Gujarati, Dhosa, Punjabi)
As a small town, you will find the less options to stay in Wankaner.
- Laxmi Guest House: Near Market Chowk, Nasta Gali, Wankaner – 363621
- Shivam Hotel: National Highway No. 8A, Nr. Shivshakti Honda Showroom, Wankaner – 363621
- Harsiddhi Hotel: National Highway No. 8-A, Opp. Taluka Panchayat, Nr. Taluka Police Station, Wankaner – 363621
There are many cellular companies, which provides their service in the town. List is given below.
- Reliance GSM/CDMA
- Tata Docomo
Major banks including private as well as nationalized banks have their branches in Wankaner. Most of ATMs are available in the respective branches.
- Axis Bank: Nr. Jawasa Road, Wankaner
- Bank of Baroda: Opp. Bapu’s Bawla (Statue), Wankaner
- Bank of India: Nr. Ram Dugdhalaya, Jinpara Main Road, Wankaner
- Central Bank of India: Near Jinpara, Wankaner
- DENA Bank: Market Chowk, Wankaner
- HDFC Bank: Market Chowk, Nr. Post Office, Wankaner
- ICICI Bank: Near Jinpara, Wankaner
- Rajkot Nagrik Sahkari Bank Ltd.: Market Chowk, Nr. Post Office, Wankaner
- Rajkot District Co-Operative Bank Ltd.: Danapith Chowk, Wankaner
- State Bank of India: Haridas Road, Wankaner
- State Bank of India: Nr. Manikani Mandir and Taluka Shala No. 3, Wankaner
- Union Bank of India: Opp. Jain Digambar Temple, Main Road, Wankaner
Guide last re-published on September 28, 2015.