India is the second largest country in the world by population and seventh largest by area. India also prides itself on being the largest democracy on Earth. India shares borders with Bhutan to the northeast, Myanmar and Bangladesh to the east, Pakistan to the west, and Nepal and China to north. India is one of the fastest growing economies in the world. India is an extremely diverse country, with vast differences in culture, regional languages, customs, geography, weather, lifestyle and more.
If you are planning to visit India, you should take at least six months VISA to visit the most popular tourist attractions in the country. It is an impossible thing for any tourist to visit each and every state’s most popular tourist places within six places. There are countless best places to visit in the country. So, you should plan your trip according to your interest, budget and wish. FIY, the most of the states of India are bigger than most of the countries in the world. Right now, India has 29 states and 7 union territories.
- Taj Mahal: The symbol of love, located in the city of Agra in Uttar Pradesh. One of the most visited tourist attractions in the world.
- Dal Lake: It is the most beautiful lake, located in the city of Srinagar, the capital of Jammu and Kashmir.
- Goa: Goa is the westernized state of India, with beautiful beaches.
- Golden Temple: The most sacred temple of Sikhism. It looks very serene in the early morning.
- Delhi: The capital of the country and continuously inhabited capital with large number of historical monuments.
- Leh: It is considered as one of the highest inhabited cities of the world. Enjoy the real beauty of nature.
- Rajasthan: The state has large number of royal palaces and forts. Now, converted into heritage hotels.
- Andaman and Nicobar: It is one of the most beautiful island destinations in the world.
- Gir National Park: It is the only home of the Asiatic Lions in India. The park is located in the district of Junagadh in Gujarat.
- Varanasi: It is one of the most sacred cities in the world for Hinduism followers.
- Khwaja Moinuddin Chishti Dargah: It is one of the most sacred places for Muslims in India.
Are you planning to take something as a souvenir from India? The country has wide range of products available for each and every traveller.
- Arts and Handicrafts: Do not forget to buy arts and handicrafts from the traditional markets in India.
- Jewellery: India offers inexpensive jewellery such as bracelets, rings, necklaces and others.
- Buy Ayurveda Products: Buy Ayurveda products to improve your skin tone and maintaining it. Please be aware of fake items.
- Perfumes: The country has large number of desi perfume brands. Do not forget to buy desi perfume from the traditional markets in India
- Tea: India has many tea gardens, located in Darjeeling, Assam, Kerala and Tamil Nadu. So, do not forget to buy Indian tea.
By Air – Domestic Airlines
In the past, Indian Airlines, the government-owned was having the monopoly in the domestic market but things are now changed. There are many domestic airlines in India, which caters to the second level cities of India.
- AirAsia India
- Air India
- Air India Regional
- Jet Airways
- Air India Express
- Air Costa
By Train – Indian Railways
Indian Railways is one of the largest railways in the world. It has a wide network of railway track in the country. You can easily reach at any part of the country through the train. As of now, there are total 17 railway zones in the country, mentioned below.
- Southern Railways
- Central Railways
- Wastern Railways
- Eastern Railways
- Northern Railways
- North Eastern Railways
- South Eastern Railways
- South Central Railways
- Northeast Frontier Railways
- East Central Railways
- North Western Railways
- East Coast Railways
- North Central Railways
- South East Central Railways
- South Western Railways
- West Central Railways
- Konkan Railway
Foreign Missions in India
- United States: US Embassy, Shantipath, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi. Tel. 011-91-11-2419-8000
- Estonia: C15, Malcha Marg, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi. Tel. +91 11 4948 8650
- UAE: 12 Chandragupta Marg, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi. Tel. +91-11-26111111
- Canada: 7/8, Shantipath, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi-110021. Tel. +91-11-4178 2000/ 2100
- Bulgaria: 16/17 Chandragupta Marg, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi – 110021. Tel. +91 11 26115549, +91 11 26115551
- Brazil: Unit 12B, 12th floor, Bakhtawar Building, RN Goenka Marg, Nariman Point, Mumbai 400 021. Tel. +91 22-2283 4467, +91 22 2283 4469
- Afghanistan: Plat No. 5, Block 50F, Shantipath, Chanakyapuri. Tel.: +91-11-24100412
- Algeria: E 6/5 Vasan Vihar. Tel. +91-11-2614-6706, 2614-7036
- Angola: 5, Poorvi Marg Vasant Vihar, Vasant Vihar. Tel. +91-11-26146195, 26146197
- Argentina: A-2/6 Vasant Vihar Tel. +91-11-4166-1982-86
- Armenia: D-133, Anand Niketan. Tel. +91-11-24112851 / 52
- Austria: EP-13, Chandergupta Marg, Chanakyapuri. Tel. +91-11-24192700
- Azerbaijan: 8 Golf Links. Tel. +91-11-24652228
Mobile Phone Operators
India is one of the largest countries in the world by number of users. There are following mobile phone service operators which have PAN India network or available in the most of states.
- Idea Cellular
- Tata Docomo
- Reliance GSM/CDMA
Last re-published on March 21, 2015.