Taj Mahal is a symbol of love and the identity of the city of Agra. Taj Mahal is also one of the most visited tourist attractions in India. It is also one of the best destinations during the valentine week in India. Taj Mahal was built in 1653 in the memory of Mumtaz Mahal, third wife of Mughal emperor Shah Jahan.
UNESCO designated the Taj Mahal as the World Heritage Site in 1983 with reference no. 252. In this article, we have compiled a list of the most interesting, amazing, and mind blowing facts about Taj Mahal.
Facts about Taj Mahal: 16 Interesting, Amazing and Mind Blowing Facts
1. According to the historians and experts, more than 22,000 people taken part in the construction of this marvelous building including painters, labours, stonecutters, artists, and many others.
2. Taj Mahal was built in the memory of Shah Jahan’s third wife Mumtaz Mahal. She was one of the most beautiful queens at the time. She died while giving birth to 14 child at the age of 40.
3. There is a mosque located in the Taj Mahal and it closes on Fridays for prayer.
4. More than 7-8 million tourists visited the Taj Mahal in 2014.
5. The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization or simply UNESCO designated the Taj Mahal as the “World Heritage Site” in 1983.
6. The height of the Taj Mahal is 73 m or 240 ft.
7. Ustad Ahmad Lahauri was the main architect of the Taj. He was Persian and belongs to Iran.
8. According to the historians, more than 1,000 elephants were used to transport construction materials for the Taj. It is one of the most interesting facts about Taj Mahal.
9. Shah Jahan spent more than 32 million Indian rupees (US$1 billion) at the time. It is one of the unknown facts about Taj Mahal.
10. False structures and scaffolding were constructed around the Taj Mahal over the years to confuse German, Japanese, and Pakistani bomber pilots.
11. The Taj Mahal was declared as one of the New Seven Wonders of the World in 2007.
12. It is believed that Emperor Shah Jahan had planned to construct another black Taj Mahal but the construction was not started due to war with his sons.
13. Inspired from Taj Mahal, Dubai is going to construct a luxury hotel, called the Taj Arabia with an estimated cost of US$1 billion. The Taj Arabia will be four times larger than the original Taj.
14. Lord Curzon (The Former Viceroy of India) name can be seen on a beautiful lamp inside the wonderful Taj Mahal. You can see when you enter the royal gates in the first glimpse.
Read Interesting Article Also: Cheapest Overwater Bungalows
15. The graves of Shah Jahan and his wife Mumtaz are not decorated as per the Islamic tradition. They are buried in simple and plain crypt inside the chamber of beautiful Taj Mahal.
16. It’s wonderful architecture which changes its colors depending on the light and time. In the morning, Taj Mahal looks alike in pinkish color. In the evening, the color changes to milky white. During the moonlight, again it changes to golden color. It is one of the most interesting facts about Taj Mahal.
Article Title: Facts about Taj Mahal: 16 Interesting, Amazing and Mind Blowing Facts
Article last re-published on July 6, 2019.