Art Galleries in Mumbai are the proud of the city due to its significant value and the best artistic work. Mumbai is the capital of Art work and galleries of the country. India’s most popular artists belong to the city of Mumbai i.e. Late Maqbool Fida Husain, who is considered as Pablo Picaso of India. There are also lots of art galleries located in the city of Mumbai which have significant artwork to showcase.
To buy paintings or costly art, every think about visiting art galleries and ask for their price. Most of art pieces in art galleries in Mumbai are precious and unique in its own style.
Top 6 Best Art Galleries in Mumbai for Your Art Tour
1. Volte Gallery
Volte Gallery has achieved one of the most significant places in the short time of period. It was established in 2008 by Tushar Jiwarajka in Mumbai to cater the needs of art lovers. It has a large space to showcase art i.e. 3000 square foot Victorian warehouse.
Volte has also sponsored various art projects as well as collaborated in various countries like Russia, China, Singapore and others.
- Address: 202 Sumer Kendra, Floor 2, Pandurang Buhadkar Marg, Worli
- Opening Hours: Monday to Saturday (11am-7pm), Sunday – Closed
- Phone Number: 022 4096 3300
2. Jehangir Art Gallery
Jehangir Art Gallery is one of the oldest art galleries in Mumbai. It was founded by Sir Cowasji Jehangir in 1952. It is located in the heart of the city i.e. Kala Ghoda in the Southern Mumbai near the Gateway of India. It has significant impact on the art lovers and collectors.
- Address: 161B, Mahatma Gandhi Road, Kala Ghoda, Fort
- Phone: 022 2284 3989
- Opening Hours: Monday to Sunday (11am-7pm)
3. Dr. Bhau Daji Lad Museum (Formerly Victoria and Albert Museum)
It is the oldest art museum in Mumbai and treasure of India’s art culture. It was established in the year 1855 as the house of decorative and industrial arts. It is located in the Byculla East, Dr. Baba Saheb Ambedkar Marg in Mumbai. It has one of the most historically important script which is “Hatim Tai”.
- Address: 91 A, Rani Baug, Veer Mata Jijbai Bhonsle Udyan, Dr Baba Saheb Ambedkar Rd, Byculla East
- Phone: 022 2373 1234
- Opening Hours: Thursday to Tuesday (10am to 6pm), Wednesday – Closed
4. The Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya (Prince of Wales Museum)
It was established as “The Prince of Wales Museum” in the year 1922. Its construction was started in 1905 by the then Prince of Wales as the museum in Mumbai. Its architectural style is widely popular which is Indo-Saracenic i.e. mixed of Islamic, Victorian and Spanish architecture.
- Address: 159-161, Mahatma Gandhi Road, Kala Ghoda, Fort
- Phone: No info available
- Opening Hours: Tuesday to Sunday (10:15am to 6pm), Monday – Closed
5. National Gallery of Modern Art
This gallery was established in the year 1996 to cater the needs of artists and art lovers in the metropolitan city Mumbai. It is situated near Regal Cinema in Colaba, Southern Mumbai. It has significant collections of the best art works by Pablo Picasso as well as Egyptian art.
- Admission fee : Rs. 10 (for Indians), Rs. 150 (For foreigners)
- Address: Sir Cowasji Jahangir Public Hall, Mahatma Gandhi Road, Fort
- Phone: 022 2288 1969
- Opening Hours: Tuesday to Sunday (11am to 6pm), Monday – Closed
6. Gallery Maskara
Gallery Maskara is one of the most beautiful art galleries in the city of Mumbai. It was opened by Abhay Maskara, who spent 4 years working in the Seattle, United States. This art gallery has a giant ceiling, a perfect place giant art installation. Their art gallery is open from Tuesday to Sunday 11:00 AM to 7:00 PM. They remain closed on Monday and entry is free.
- Address: No. 6, 7, 3rd Pasta Ln, Railway Colony, Apollo Bandar, Colaba
- Phone: 022 2202 3056
- Opening Hours: Monday to Saturday (11am to 7pm) Sunday – Closed
Article Title: Top 6 Best Art Galleries in Mumbai for Your Art Tour
Article last re-published on August 20, 2019.